CROSS COUNTRY BIKES
KARAPOTI is a long running MTB race in the foot hills of Wellington New Zealand.
Pronounced "Kara·po·tea" the KARAPOTI is ideal for long fast days in the saddle. Ideal for the South Downs Way (SDW). It has loads of bottle points for luggage and bottles. Tyre clearance is 75mm so it will fit 29x2.25” tyres easily with clearance for mud. This is my bike of choice to Single speed the SDW. The Karapoti will also run drop bars for Monster Cross and can run Fixed for Tracklocross and with a 30.9mm seat tube this bike will fit a dropper post.
DROP BAR - MONSTER CROSS BUILDS
All our bikes have the RocknRollout Dropouts for versatility. OLSEN Frames use 142mm rear wheel format and can be changed to 135mm as this gives you more options:
• Derailleur with a 142mm Wheel.
• Internal Gear Hubs like Kindernay XIV, Rohloff Speedhub and Alfine 11.
• Gates CDX Carbondrive Belts.
• Single-speed and Dingle-speed (Manually shifted 2nd gear)
• Fixed Gear for the brave - or long distance rider emergencies.
• Splitting the RocknRollout Dropout Hoods for Carbondrive Belts:
GATES CDX CARBONDRIVE COMPATIBLE:
OLSEN has a bike that suits the type of terrain and riding you do.
Part of the solution to going the distance - avoiding the tears caused by conventional riding - is the Gates Carbondrive.
Gates Carbon Drive brings you Olsen Bikes that are:
• CLEAN - Just hose off and ride.
• QUIET - The antidote to a high-tech world.
• LOW MAINTENANCE - Fit and forget for 10,000 miles.
KARAPOTI Single Speed CROSS COUNTRY Bikes
REAR WHEEL SPACING:
At OLSEN we made the decision to have the first frames 142mm for the simple reason that 142 is backward compatible with 135mm.
• 142mm will fit the following: Derailleur, Single speed (SS) and Internal Gear Hubs (IGH).
• 148mm Boost – Derailleur, a few SS hubs and IGH (with adaptors) – but is 3mm wider 3mm each side
• 157mm SUPER Boost – Derailleur hubs ONLY.
142mm has been adopted by Gravel bikes and there are loads of single-speed hubs that are 135mm an 142mm... 135 & 142mm are extremely popular with internal hub gears. Rohloff, Kindernay both offer 142mm. Shimano Alfine 11 comes in 135 and the Secondhand Rohloff market is full of 135mm hubs. There are however a lot of PLUS and FAT tyre riders who choose hub gears. Hub gears have wider flanges and a better chainline.
142mm is the winner for versatility and options.